Man is a rational animal, so at least I have been told, throughout my life. I have looked diligently for evidence in favour of this statement, but so far I have not had the good fortune to come across it. On the contrary, I have seen the world plunging continually further into madness. I have seen great nations, formerly leaders of civilization, led astray by teachers of bombastic nonsense. All this is depressing, but gloom is a useless emotion.
Aristotle was the first to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His unimpressive reason for this view was that some people can do sums.
– George Bernard Shaw, Me Thinks. Do correct me if I indeed am wrong.
I can’t say I wasn’t pleased to find this passage somewhere among all my debris. What is it about this one piece that makes me laugh at the joke and mock at the human race at the same time? There are sooo many critics out there, or pessimists as some prefer to call them, including myself, but it has never quite reached this saturation, has it?
Well, since we are calling man a big bad dungbag, we might just do it complete. Here’s my take on WHY and WHY NOT man deserves this flattering title;
Why Man Is a Stupid Shitbomb of Utter Nonsense:
- Such generous feelings come into my mind strong and poignant when I ride my cycle home. When you are on a cycle in New Delhi, you notice EVERY pothole, every traffic light, every cut in the dividers, and EVERY bastard who the Driving License guy made a mistake with. Just imagine what One Light Down can mean. In a mere four metre distance on the ground of a place where the traffic light was down, I almost bumped into three cars, almost drove over the divider, almost skid and banged a car door and almost got killed. Not much, just heart-stopping. And I have heard of such complaints only too often to generalise- Man when on the wheel isn’t man at all.
- “What’s 2+2?” “4, sure!” “Where does the sun rise from?” “East, duh!” “Why are you taking that/tearing that/throwing that/sweeping your dirty table with that/etc, it is mine?” “Oh shut up that hole in your mouth, you insolent lazy shit ass and…” Oh yeah, definitely wackos.
- And of course the usual- I can kill whatever animal I want. I can do whatever and however and whenever I want, I can’t give a shit if it will kill you. I got a voice box, I’ll scream. I got a window too, I will throw my stuff out of it, even if it lands right inside yours.
- Religion is so important that we can wage incessant wars. Malnutrition, death by hunger, diseases and crime is no big deal, and we won’t spend a minute there, we could miss our movie.
- We will have plenty more things to personally want to put to this list, and we’ll agree with almost everything but yet we will read and skip and scroll down and get on with our lives. Because if we commit the heinous crime of only thinking about this just once, we will lose our precious title of louts.
- We won’t like this post. Nor will we comment. Because we are stick ups. (Don’t mind this one much. Just the impatient blogger in me having a ball.)
Why Man Might not be That Bad:
- Well I am being very biased if I just go on panning poor dear Homo sapiens like that. Everyone is frustrated! Just because I have a nice little blog to my disposal doesn’t mean I get to take it out like that. Okay, it does, but I shouldn’t. Because that time when the traffic signal was down, one gentleman kindly switched off his car and waited for the ruckus ahead to clear and then he moved.
- Thanks to Human Rights leaders and Lawyers and Social Sciences teacher, who STILL make me romanticise with the idea of an ideal society, and the belief that everything might just turn out all right.
- There’s no counter to those who think they own the world. But it is definitely an ease to know such idiots are few. New York, I think, reflects that. RANGE. That should be the motto of that place or something. There’s always some one who will think differently, which means that there will always be someone who will think BETTER.
- There’s a huge role of writers in maintaining worldwide peace. I have never believed that wars are fought by soldiers, but actually the democrats and diplomats behind them. And writers thin the need substantially. The war of words versus the war on ground has long been a favourite theme, and I’m proud to say that writers have since been saving the world.
- There are different ‘groups’ out there, different ‘classes’ or we might as well call it different ‘categories’ of people. Not that I profess it, there just are. Educated, illiterate, Lawyer, Banker, Optimist, Sadist, King, Slave…. Pervert, Pervert. These will remain just as they are for too long, I know. But I also know that pinch any of these hard, and they will squeal the same. Put a gun to either’s head, and the fear will be the same. Get to love any, and the passion will be the same. Everyone may not be so different after all.
- The last and most important reason that makes me prefer this list is that I have been shown just WHY man is beautiful. And even though there are times only too often when I want to strangle someone so urgently and so hard, I don’t do it. Because I know this one thing. And it would be a lot of trouble. Anyway, this is it- the beauty of Man- Imagine a person who is so inhuman and so cruel and so so bad that he makes your life hell, drives you into the most mind boggling of situations, becomes the cause of your death, and then later is also responsible for demolishing your grave. And that’s after he’s ruined your name in the world. He’s killed you not only physically, but in every other sense a person can be alive. He’s like Hitler crossed with a dumb Man-eating dino crossed with the alter ego of Gandhi. Okay, here’s the beauty of it all- One day, sooner or later, they will ……….. die. Rejoice. And EVEN IF they die with a good name and a chapter in the history books, THEY WILL BE FORGOTTEN. And if you must insist that that’s not good enough, start believing in ghosts and hope to become one to come and personally drive that person to the grave. Have a grand day!
Most probably, coming up next: My take on an article I read called ‘Laughter panacea’. My guess is it will be pretty passionate. Excuse me now, I got to go Google the meaning of ‘panacea’.